Thursday, September 11, 2014

Why Lysistrata?

So, I'm in class.

Sept. 8th
We were to choose one of three Greek comedies to read outside of class, Clouds, Frogs, and Lysistrata. The reason why I chose Lysistrata prior to reading it was because it was about women. After researching online, I found I would really like it; feminism for Ancient times I suppose. I wanted to read a comedy with women starring in it. The two main characters I am aware of is Calonice and Lysistrata. Calonice portrays common women that need help from men and they are less dependent. Lysistrata however is not this way, she thinks differently and acts more independent compared to her friends. Lysistrata gathers all the wives and decide that to stop the Peloponnesian War by withholding sex from the men. I assume men feel entitled and in this starts a war between the sexes. Men are fun, women are more fun.

Sept. 11
Turns out literally everyone chose Frogs, because it was the shortest. I think this in itself proves something. Today the weather is particularly cynical all while I'm trying to not be so pretentious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment